Karim Benzema was chosen as the Ballon d’Or 2022 in the traditional delivery made by the magazine France Football every years. The French striker Real Madrid He had a brilliant season with the Spanish team in which he became champion of the Spanish league and was crowned in the Champions League after beating Liverpool in the final.
The 34-year-old attacker outvoted Sadio Mané, Kevin De Bruyne and Robert Lewandowski, who was also crowned the best forward of the campaign. “Age is nothing more than a number for me”, said Benzema at the ceremony held at the Châtelet Theater in Paris. “Players can now prolong their careers much longer and I remain fervently motivated. It is what stimulates me to continue and that does not allow me to loosen up”, added the player who is about to participate in his second World Cup after his experience in Brazil 2014.
The newspaper The team of France gave details of how the vote was that erected Benzema as the winner of the Ballon d’Or and confirmed that came first after receiving 549 points out of a possible 558 among the votes cast by specialized journalists. In this way, the French footballer was chosen almost unanimously, but could not break the record achieved by Lionel Messi in the 2009 editionwhen the Argentine star garnered 473 points out of a possible 480.
Senegalese from Bayern Munich finished second in the vote, with 193 points. De Bruyne (175) and Lewandowski (170) and Mo Salah (116) rounded out the top five. Kylian Mbappe finished in sixth position (85 points), one place ahead of Thibaut Courtois. The Belgian was chosen the best goalkeeper of the season and was the protagonist of some controversial sayings about the importance of his position in contrast to the assessment given to the attackers to win the Ballon d’Or.
The Real Madrid player was the first chosen in the ranking in 89 of 93 votes made by the press. It should be noted that each member of the committee had five votes available with 6 points for the first, 4 for the second, 3 for the third, 2 for the fourth and 1 for the fifth elected.Benzema with the 2022 Ballon d’Or award (REUTERS/Benoit Tessier)
According to the newspaper, which is part of the group in charge of organizing the award, the last time a player made such a difference in an election was in 2016, when Cristiano Ronaldo He kept the award after beating Lionel Messi (746 to 316). And yes, we are talking about the Portuguese striker who is currently playing for Manchester United, it is important to note that received no votes.
Then, Why did CR7 finish in 20th place and outperform other players who did not receive votes like him? France Football explained that, in this case, the Portuguese finished above Harry Kane (Tottenham), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool) and Manchester City players such as Phil Foden, Bernardo Silva and Joao Cancelo for having more nominations for the award. -he has 18 in total- than the rest.
The final classification of the Ballon d’Or 2022
1. Karim Benzema (France, Real Madrid), 549 points
2. Sadio Mané (Senegal, Liverpool-Bayern Munich), 193 points
3. Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium, Manchester City), 175 points
4. Robert Lewandowski (Poland, Bayern Munich-FC Barcelona), 170 points
5. Mohamed Salah (Egipto, Liverpool), 116 puntos
6. Kylian Mbappé (France, PSG), 85 points
7. Thibaut Courtois (Belgium, Real Madrid), 82 points
8. Vinicius Jr. (Brazil, Real Madrid), 61 points
9. Luka Modric (Croatia, Real Madrid), 20 points
10. Erling Haaland (Norway, Borussia Dortmund-Manchester City), 18 points
11. Son Heung-min (South Korea, Tottenham), 5 points
12. Riyad Mahrez (Algeria, Manchester City), 4 points
13. Sébastien Haller (Ivory Coast, Ajax-Borussia Dortmund), 2 points
14. Fabinho (Brazil, Liverpool), 2 points
14. Rafael Leao (Portugal, AC Milan), 2 points
16. Virgil Van Dijk (Netherlands-Liverpool), 1 point
17. Casemiro (Brazil, Real Madrid-Manchester United), 1 punto
17. Luis Diaz (Colombia, FC Porto-Liverpool), 1 point
17. Dusan Vlahovic (Serbia, Fiorentina-Juventus), 1 punto
20. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal, Manchester United), 0 puntos
21. Harry Kane (England, Tottenham), 0 points
22. Trent Alexander-Arnold (Inglaterra, Liverpool), 0 puntos
22. Phil Foden (England, Manchester City), 0 points
22. Bernardo Silva (Portugal, Manchester City), 0 points
25. Joao Cancelo (Portugal, Manchester City), 0 points
25. Joshua Kimmich (Germany, Bayern Munich), 0 points
25. Mike Maignan (France, AC Milan), 0 points
25. Christopher Nkunku (France, RB Leipzig), 0 points
25. Darwin Nunez (Uruguay, Benfica-Liverpool), 0 points
25. Antonio Rüdiger (Germany, Chelsea-Real Madrid), 0 points
Karim Benzema prevailed against Lewandowski, Mané and De Bruyne and won the 2022 Ballon d’Or
Karim Benzema won his first Ballon d’Or: the basics behind the award and his numbers in a fantastic season