Boys stabbed on Glasgow bus after being tracked down via Snapchat

Boys stabbed on Glasgow bus after being tracked down via Snapchat

Updated: 2 months, 12 days, 19 hours, 49 minutes, 53 seconds ago

Three young thugs who brutally attacked two boys on a bus after tracking them on Snapchat have been spared being locked up.

The trio - twin 14-year-old brothers and a 16-year-old friend - struck during a crime which appeared to be filmed on a mobile phone.

The victims - aged 13 and 14 - were stabbed, punched, kicked and stamped upon on a number 5 First Bus in Glasgow's Gorbals on October 4, 2020.

The attackers today returned to the High Court in Glasgow for sentencing.

They had earlier admitted assaulting the boys to their severe injury and permanent disfigurement with one also to the danger of his life.

Lawyers for the trio had asked for them not to be put behind bars.

READ MORE: Bishoppbriggs neighbours react after car drives into house

Lady Rae went on to sentence each to undertake 200 hours of unpaid work as part of community payback orders.

The judge said: "I find this a very difficult case to sentence particularly due to the ages.

"You and others acted like a vicious mob. It is accepted only one had a knife, but you acted together and are equally responsible.

"The CCTV was disturbing. Despite expressions of remorse, I am not convinced they are genuine, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt."

The judge insisted it was "not some let off" and was still "a sentence delivered by the high court".

Addressing the trio - in particular the older of the three - she concluded: "You were on the cusp of going to jail. If you do not cooperate and take this chance, you are going to end up in jail for a long time.

"Please take this opportunity."

The identity of the boys cannot be revealed due to their ages.

Prosecutor Leanne Cross earlier told how the victims had lunch in the city centre before getting the bus home.

READ MORE: Forensics on scene after bomb squad called to 'suspicious package'

The three attackers were among a group who then got on in the Gorbals area without paying.

They raced to the top of the bus where the boys were sitting.

One of the twins then brandished a knife and lunged at the pair.

Ms Cross stated: "He began to attack both followed almost immediately by the other boys in the group.

"They commenced a vicious and concerted assault on the boys, who were completely outnumbered and trapped within the back seats of the bus.

"Some of the group had to climb over seats to reach them."

During the attack, the twin with the blade struck each of the victims.

Ms Cross stated: "A couple were seated near the front window with their young son.

"They were horrified and shouted at the group to stop. They paid no attention and continued.

"The woman ran downstairs as her son was distressed. She noticed one of the group had his mobile phone out appearing to record events."

As the driver halted the bus, the attackers raced off, clocked "laughing" as they did so.

One of the victims needed surgery having suffered two stab wounds including one to his chest.

His friend had three knife injuries and also needed hospital treatment.

They have been left permanently scarred.

The three young thugs were traced two days later. 

One of the twins claimed the attack occurred because the boys had made a comment about their mother.

Ms Cross stated: "As a result of that, they had used Snapchat maps to find out where the boys were and waited for them."

His brother, who had the weapon, told police: "Ah well, the knife is in the Clyde."

The 200 hours unpaid work must be completed within 12 months.

The three are also subject to supervision for two years.